Bad days are getting worse for Apple. As a second Apple store was lately evacuated after an incident affecting iPhone batteries.
The Apple store in Valencia, Spain was vacated on Wednesday after an iPhone’s battery exploded during repair. The explosion permeated one floor of the building with smoke.
Local media reported:
The incident occurred at 1:30 pm and emergency response teams were called but did not need to intervene. Despite the serious explosion, none of the Apple employees were injured in the blast and they were able to extinguish the battery with sand.
But that’s not just it- this incident follows another explosion at a store in Zurich where an employee propped minor burns after a battery caught fire. The Swiss incident resulted in seven people needing medical aid though none of them required hospitalization.
Both incidents committed battery replacements. Apple freshly cut the price of its batteries for replacement in a range of its models after it exhibited it had been designedly slowing the performance of phones.
Apple issued an apology late last year revealing it had settled the performance of phones to deal with the problem of ageing lithium batteries.
In a statement released on the Apple website the smartphone titan said:
We’ve been hearing feedback from our customers about the way we handle performance for iPhones with older batteries and how we have communicated that process. We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down. We apologize.
However, at this recent development, Apple has not yet commented whether the fires are related to the same issue or not.