Today a historic decision has been taken by the Indian government on Jammu and Kashmir. The government has passed a bill to successfully remove the special status of Jammu and Kashmir. Home Minister Amit Shah, while presenting four resolutions in Rajya Sabha, proposed the bill to abolish article 370. Parties like BJD, BSP, AIADMK, TRS, TDP, AAP, and YSRCP supported the present government whereas Congress, JD(U), CPI, TMC, DMK, RJD, and MDMK have opposed the move till now.
The government has now made Jammu and Kashmir a union territory. Also, Ladakh has been separated from Jammu and Kashmir. Jammu and Kashmir are now split into two parts. Home Minister Amit Shah announced in Rajya Sabha that Jammu and Kashmir will be a union territory where assembly elections will be held. The second region, that is Ladakh will become a union territory as well and its command will be given to LG. This implies that Jammu and Kashmir will now have a legislature just like Delhi and Puducherry and Ladakh will have Legislative Assembly like Chandigarh.
This is very good as well as historical news for the people of India, as the country has been waiting for this step since independence. Here are the changes which will come into immediate effect in Kashmir –
- Dual citizenship of the locals in Jammu and Kashmir will end.
- In Jammu and Kashmir, the right to vote was only given for the permanent citizens of J&K. Now people of any other state can not only vote but can also easily become candidates and contest in elections.
- People of other states of the country will also be able to purchase land in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Kashmir will no longer have a separate flag and the tricolor flag will be the only official flag.
- Jammu and Kashmir have been split into two pieces Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh. These areas will now be separate union territories.
- There will be assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir however it will not be in Ladakh. It implies that a state government will be in Jammu and Kashmir, but there will be no local government in Ladakh.
- The term of the Assembly election will be 5 years instead of 6 years in J&K.
- The special status of Jammu and Kashmir has been snatched now.
Laws like RTI and CAG will also apply here.
- Any citizen of the country can now get a job in Jammu and Kashmir.
The whole social media is flooded by the tweets of Jammu and Kashmir. People are praising the Indian government for such a historic step. This decision was also very much crucial to take as terrorist organizations and illegal activities in J&K were at a rise.